For maximum enjoyment of all, keep these guidelines in mind at Diskuto events:
- Introduce yourself. When you arrive at Diskuto staff will seek to make you as welcome as possible, and greet you by name and with a smile. If you are coming for the first time, you will have to say your name! It also helps if you give us a sense of your level of fluency – beginner, intermediate or advanced/fluent.
- Meet as many people as possible. You learn more and can practise more effectively when you have many conversation partners. Challenge yourself by moving around!
- Listen! It is the best way to learn. Give everyone a chance to speak. If you find yourself monopolizing the conversation, take a breath and use your ears (well, don’t breathe through your ears).
- Respect your surroundings. Diskuto outdoor events are in parks, public paths or other public spaces. We do our utmost to ensure we leave everything as clean as we found it. Similarly, Diskuto indoor events may take place in a restaurant, cafe or bar. Respect the venue and support them by buying food and drink there. Never bring in outside food or drink.
- Have no fear. You WILL make many silly mistakes when speaking a less familiar language. That’s part of the fun.